Wednesday, January 4, 2012

THE CHALLENGE: DAY 6

A friend and mentor that writes for a living told me that I need to be very bold and honest with my blog -- and not to be afraid to take chances.  Well, this morning I feel that I owe all (5?) of my readers the truth.  My confession:  I spent all day Monday watching football, eating chili, and drinking beer.  My only exercise for the day was walking around the Pasadena Rose Bowl and I think I had one glass of water all day (not including all of the water in my 'light beer').  And to no one's surprise, I felt like hell yesterday.  I felt like I had a stamp on my forehead that said "Human Bowling Ball".  My stomach hurt, my body was sluggish, and my attitude was in line with the rest of it.  

I wish I could profess that I lead by example (I do try!), but some days are just not as successful as the ones before it.  But with each fall there is new insight and inspiration.  I was able to find a positive spin on my day of gluttony as I went to the store last night with a menu and shopping list in hand for a week of healthy and budget friendly eating!  The detox trend is popular after the holidays, but there is a reason for it:  we could all use a little jump start of energy and reinforcement of good habits!

Today we will focus on the physical and mental aspects of detoxing.  I know I could use it and if you are reading this then perhaps you will find some aspect of it beneficial as well.

THE CHALLENGE:  DAY 6

Physical
Exercise is what we immediately think of when desiring to improve our physical health -- but the reality is that what we are eating is as important (if not more) than the physical exercise that we exert.  Today I want you to create a list of healthy eating plans or substitutes (feel free to take baby steps here) so that you are putting good and nutritious food into your body.  If you need a visual inspiration about what foods to buy then rent the movie Food, Inc -- or just scroll to the bottom for a list of suggestions.

Spiritual
'Detox' can apply to the mind and body as it is simply an effort to rid ourselves of toxins that bring on only negative effects.  Some identify those toxins in the alcohol they drink or the fast food that they eat -- but don't forget the toxins of negative thinking.  I have yet to hear of anyone having the 'perfect' life, therefore there might be a memory or two from the past year that can hang around like a dark rain cloud.  Use your will power to rid that cloud from the year ahead -- you will be able to enjoy life with so much more clarity!

"For last year's words belong to last year's language and next year's words await another voice."


- T.S. Eliot


"Eliminating negative makes more room for positive.  It's simple math!"

Personal
Detoxing is a very personal process and no fad diet or plan is suitable for the masses.  Take a moment to sit down, grab a pen and paper, and write down what physical and spiritual habits will help you feel refreshed.  Mind.  Body.  Soul.  ....your next challenge will be to follow through on those goals!


Tips and Reminders:
Eating and lifestyle habits are easy to talk about, but often challenging to implement.  Too much time.  Too much money.  You can either revamp your eating plan for the week (think salmon, vegetables, kale) or start with substituting little things that can make a big difference!


-- Clean out all processed 'box' food from your cabinets and add trail mix, raw almonds, and fruit     to your snack cupboardinstead
-- Use some will power and order something slightly healthier on that restaurant menu when out to lunch or dinner (vegetarian options and cheeseless options are a good start)
-- Start every morning with a cup of water and some egg whites for protein and digestion
-- Get the corn out of your diet...it's what they feed to pigs to fatten them up

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog via That Girl and now I feel stalkery since apparently I am local to you. Thought I'd comment...love your challenge!

    ReplyDelete