Friday, January 13, 2012

THE CHALLENGE - DAY 10

Let me first start out by apologizing for my inconsistency in the posts.  I realize that I made a commitment to post for 30 days straight and it has not played out that way.  Unfortunately, I have a day job (that I happen to love spending time on) and can't always find the time to get to personal items -- but I will stick with this until we have a complete 30 day challenge!

Now, on to today's theme:  Remembering to Laugh (out loud!) in Life

I was out to dinner last night with an long-time guy friend and we were catching up on all matters in life as we hadn't been in touch in over 6 months.  The first few minutes were spent glazing over work, status updates on mutual friends, and personal state of mind.  Then on to the good stuff - how's your love life?!  He humored me with some good dating anecdotes, I told him that his most recent date at an ice skating rink was utterly lame (we don't walk and talk in circles for fun, why skate and talk in circles?), and he asked me how I'm enjoying my somewhat newly single status.  I confided that, trying to not sound arrogant, I have concerns about being a strong and confident woman in the dating game.  His honest response was that many guys might be turned off by a woman that is very direct and ambitious, but there is a way to have some fun with it and still get the point across...You simply say "Hi, I'm B.Dawn.  I have my MBA and am working to take over my family's real estate company.  Oh, and I'm not wearing any underwear."

I nearly spit my 'Savage Blend' red wine out on his nicely pressed dress shirt and the table next to us paused in conversation concerned with what could have been said that had me nearly falling out of my chair laughing.  It was the funniest thing I had heard all day...all week for that matter!  And he said it with a totally straight face.  The point:  you can be a serious person of ambition, but don't be afraid to add some humor to conversation.  Not to mention, he will be thinking about the last statement a lot more on that date than the first two...and which do you think will lead to the second date?

I'm probably not going to actually use this line on my next date, but the premise really hit home.  I need to not be so concerned about being respected and understood that it removes the element of playfulness from life.

THE CHALLENGE DAY 10


Physical
Ok, you've had your break.  You've had your time to 'try something new', but what exercise feels like 'home base' for you?  Whatever is the most consistent activity for you to enjoy in your life (mine is a beach walk around town) get out and do it!  Habits don't form over night, they take time and commitment...so let's go!  

Spiritual
A lot of spiritual healing and internal processing is accomplished with intentional thought and meditation.  It can all be very serious.  Today, as you continue to ruminate about the goals that you aim to achieve in 2012, don't be afraid to smile and think of the little joys that you can seek out in life as well.  We control the path our thoughts travel and if you choose to be happy then you can choose to make it a great day. 

Cheerfulness keeps up a kindof daylight in the mind and fills it with
        a steady and perpetual serenity.
    
                                                                               - Joseph Addison
 

Personal
Have you laughed out loud yet today?  It's a great ab workout.  It also carries with it some fantastic endorphins.  If you are unsure as to how to be inspired to laugh out loud then go to You Tube.  I'm not kidding.  There are certain 'cloudy days' that even those closest to me cannot turn around with a thoughtful word or gesture...yet a random video clip can having me bursting out into laughter.  Jimmy Kimmel has hosted two versions of kids videos that never fail to please:  Parents, tell your kids that you ate all their Halloween Candy & Parents, give your kids a bad Christmas present.  ... You can thank me later.



No comments:

Post a Comment