Friday, December 2, 2011

MARCEL THE SHELL...COMEDIAN OR MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER??


The holidays are always a challenging time of year to keep our emotions in check and a maintain a level head.  There is this pressure to demonstrate absolute joy, gratefulness, and excitement for a period of 38 days straight -- otherwise known as the period from Thanksgiving to New Years.  Ironically, for many, this pressure to be happy actually brings out the suppressed emotions of sadness or worry is more often set aside throughout the year as we able to focus that energy on all the other activities happening in our life.  But the holidays are a special time of year -- they bring everything to the forefront.

I, like many of you, have a love/hate relationship with the holidays.  I do, truly, love making the time to take a step back and recognize the blessings in my life.  There is much to be grateful for as I have good health, a roof over my head, and am lucky to call many magnificent people my family and friends.  However, earlier this week I was having some challenges with work -- a lot of "Do this, don't do that.  He's an idiot.  Go tell that person to 'Pound Sand'."  I mean, typical real estate talk for this economy, but I became overwhelmed by the negativity... and then listening to Christmas music during my rides home from the office actually caused me to sink deeper into that dark place.  I was in a rut (!) and didn't see, or have any interest in finding, a way out.  Then a friend of mine quoted a YouTube video in an attempt to cheer me up and one night, after having run out of TiVo recordings, I reached for my phone and clicked on this character that had provided such a humorous moment of inspiration to my friend.  His name was Marcel.  Marcel the Shell.

Marcel is a literally a shell, with shoes and one eye, and he has this charming personality that is a blend of fun loving, sincere, and insightful.  He leads a simple life with his "breadroom" and "reading receipts to get a taste for real life" -- and he also says things like "Ask me why I smile a lot -- cuz it's worth it".  And you know what?  This little shell launched me out of my 'rut' and had me laughing hysterically while also compelling me to look inward at the simple joys in my life that I often overlook.  The simple joy of being single and able to dance to 80's music with my girlfriends on a Tuesday night.  The simple joy of waking up in the morning to walk and watch the sun peering over the harbor with the waves crashing around the corner.  The simple joy of telling my friend that 14 lip glosses are way too many for one purse to handle.

Who is the Marcel in your life?  The person that reminds you to not sweat the small stuff, to laugh more than you cry, and to smile a lot...because it's worth it!




No comments:

Post a Comment