Monday, August 27, 2012

NEW BEGINNINGS


Los Angeles never fails to surprise me with how many people find themselves drawn to this city for the beautiful weather -- and perhaps the beautiful people.  Hollywoodland is a place of opportunity, palm trees, and the ultimate late night Thai food.  As a SoCal native I take a great deal of pride in meeting new 'Transplants' and wish them much success in establishing a new community for both work and play.  Never before have I been on the receiving end of such a speech, until now.

It was a little over a month ago that I decided to make a move about 40 miles up the 405 freeway.  It was a new county and a new neighborhood, but geographically easily within reach of my closest family and friends.  The chaos and exhilaration that comes with packing, furniture shopping, and restaurant hunting can serve as a fantastic temporary masque to what is really taking place underneath the surface of it all:  change.  I realized last night, for the first time, that change is hard.  And it takes patience with time to redefine normal. 

Earlier in the day I had attended a friend's barbeque in which I came across many new faces that met me with a warm smile and inquiring eyes.  Many of them were 'New LA Transplants' from New York and they came  with dreams of careers in Hollywood and excitements for warmer weather.  In the past, I would have greeted these new locals with a removed understanding of what it felt like to be navigating a new community and building new relationships.  Yesterday, I felt like a new member of their tribe.  I too was new to the town, in a less extreme way, but new nonetheless.  We exchanged comments of patience and ambition -- when to lean on one and when to employ the other.  These new friends had come so far and sacrificed so much, all for the chance of success.  I was impressed.  More than that, I was in awe of their electric energy and kind demeanor.  I took a piece of it away with me as I headed back to my new home just down the road.

I realize that it is rare to experience major geographical moves in our lives, but there are different kinds of "change" that we experience on a regular basis.  It could be a change in careers or a change in relationships or a full life change that comes with being a new mother with a tiny human being completely dependent upon your affection and attention.  Whatever the change is that meets your path in life, I encourage you to remain patient and diligent.  Be patient with not understanding all that it is you desire to know -- it will reveal itself in time.  Be diligent in pursuing goodness and embracing the moment.  It will all work out and the patience and diligence will pay off -- after all, hasn't it always in the past?  It's easy to look ahead and feel overwhelmed, but it's important to look back and remember that this isn't the first time change has altered things and it won't be the last.  You got this -- I promise!  And chances are, you're going to be great.

Now I just need to remind myself of such a speech and dwell in this new community that I call home... Patience.  Diligence.  Patience.  Diligence.  #newmantra



No comments:

Post a Comment