Monday, August 20, 2012

BE THE CHANGE!


Throughout the first half of summer my sister and I would get together on a regular basis with intentions of casually spending time together, but each meeting we would end up indulging in our very own pity party.  We were both feeling restless and dissatisfied with our lives in Orange County.  It is a beautiful place to live and raise a family, don't get me wrong, but it is far too quiet for a couple of young professional women looking to make their mark on this world. 

I vividly remember the night we hit our breaking point.  We were sitting on the outside patio of my favorite local bar when a group of women in their mid to late fifties walked in making a real fashion statement in their sequin skits, low cut tops, and mid-drift bearing blouses. It was clearly girls night out and they were ready for a good time. Unfortunately, I was horrified to realize that we were the only ones at this bar under the age of 40...and wearing outfits more likely to be seen in a Banana Republic ad than Wet Seal. I turned to my sister and said "I need to get out of this town. I don't fit in. And it's making me incredibly unhappy." With as knowing look in her eye she simply said, "Me too."

We each decided, in the immediate week following our wine date, to take action.  She is now in the process of shopping for Ikea furniture to fill her new apartment located in the Chinatown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. and I have been setting up my new beach cottage in Los Angeles.  We had a phone date this past weekend and the energy was electric.  She is thrilled about her new job, new city, and the new friendships that are already blossoming around her.  She is in her element and I couldn't be more proud of my little sister for taking big chances in buying a one-way ticket to the East Coast.

As for me, I decided to move closer to LA and have been getting a feel for this new town for the last week and a half.  I am already feeling the energy, excitement, and fresh oxygen filling my body.  Thanks to the inspiring acts on display in the London Olympics, I have become motivated to take on new challenges and am now the proud owner of a new surf board and wetsuit.  Luckily, my new housemate happens to be a local 'surfer dude' and is graciously taking the time to teach me the ways of the water. 

We were up late the other night joking around, his friends playing renditions of Jack Johnson songs on the guitar, and I declared that it was time to call it a night in order  to rise early and get out into the water and start 'Training'.  Training for what?  Well, shouldn't we be prepared to try for the Olympics in Rio in case they add surfing as a sport?  We only have four years so it's best we commit early.  The housemates loved it and the next morning there was a call for Team Rio to hit the waves!

I would have never, in my life, imagined a month ago that this past weekend would be spent with strangers, whom have become new friends, gathering around the guitar during the late night hours and then taking in the astonishing beauty of the ocean waves at 7 AM.  A month ago, all I could simply say is that I was feeling unsettled and in need of some change.

The most recent parting of ways with a significant other was ultimately the catalyst for such a move.  He was unapologetically pursuing his hopes and dreams and I realized the tough truth that I was the only person in my life holding me back from doing the same.  I love when life turns out to present dark moments simply to prepare you for the bright light ahead.  We can't always know the context of life, but we do have some influence and control of our own destiny through the power of choice. 

I present to you the following challenges based on my own recent life lessons:  (1) Choose to take chances when it comes to change.  (2) Dare to put your own best interests first.  (3) Trust that the darkness will be followed by the light.

A friend once coined my constant recitation of inspirational quotes as 'Brit-Spiration'...So here is a little bit of 'Brit-Spiration' as you go into the week ahead:

"You Must Be the Change You Wish to See in the World."  -- Mahatma Ghandi



No comments:

Post a Comment