Monday, July 9, 2012

DEPENDENT LITTLE CREATURES


I recently found out, via some very uncomfortable lab tests, that some unwanted 'souvenirs' returned to The States with me from Peru.  After spending an incredible week exploring the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu our family decided to take on a few days 'roughing it' in the Amazon jungle.  I will be the first to admit that our family could easily personify Troop Beverly Hills and my father made sure to book only the best of the available Eco-Lodges located along the Amazon River.  What we found out on our boat ride up the river, as our guide looked amused at all of us with an in our Lululemon pants and RayBans, is that 'Luxury' in the Amazon simply means you have hot water in your private quarters.  Needless to say, it was an adventure of unanticipated proportions.

We left in high spirits having experienced something new and different, but our stomachs were not faring so well.  All five of us experienced some sort of stomach issue for the following week, but mine seemed to never truly go away.  After three weeks of moaning about my inability to feel like my stomach was truly capable of digesting food I went to the doctor.  I was laying on the table with a stethoscope to my lower right pelvis and the doctor simply nodded her head and said, "Yep, it's what I thought it could be.  You have a parasite."   My mouth dropped out of horror, disgust, and fear of what that means.  A couple of tests and about a week later I found out that there was more than one 'Little Creature' in my digestion tract and some serious antibiotics for the next two weeks were in store for me. 

I needed to better understand what it was that we were dealing with here so I made the terrible mistake of 'Googling' parasites from the Amazon.  What I found was the following:  "An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.  The parasite is dependent on its host for its life functions."   I apologize in advance for those that may find the following comment offensive, but upon learning this definition I immediately called my best friend and requested that we name this little sucker and he is clearly a male dependent upon my host female body.  We went with Sanchez. 

Sanchez quickly became emblematic of any person in my past or present that I felt was taking from me the nutrients that they needed for their well being, but leaving me behind with nothing but discomfort and hurt.  I couldn't help but start to think of the bigger picture as I was eradicating the Sanchez in my body -- how could I wipe out the other 'Parasites' in my life?

The thing about Parasites is that they don't just go away on their own.  You have to starve them of the nutrients.  It was all becoming clear.  I needed to stop feeding into the negative relationships in my life because without breathing life into them they wouldn't exist. 

Within a week, Sanchez was no longer causing me harm or pain and as I gained my physical strength back I could also feel myself gaining back a sense of empowerment in other aspects of my life.  Do you have any 'Parasites' in your life that need to be starved?  I encourage you to make active decisions on how to free yourself of such dependant creatures because only you have the power to make that change.


No comments:

Post a Comment