Monday, October 17, 2011

THE POWER OF NOW

I haven't actually read this book by Eckhart Tolle, but I have discussed the philosophies he teaches with many friends in the last year.  The theme is not far from what you would imagine it to be and is probably in line with a chapter or two of The Secret (aka the Bible according to Oprah) -- with great focus on living in the present moment, existing in the 'Now', and then realizing that there is great enlightenment and discovery of truth in that simple act.

This past weekend I lived out another chapter in my, yet to be published, Adventures in Dating novel.  I spent a great deal of time with my latest male suitor -- a phrase that I am opting for as it seems classier than 'Flavor of the Week' -- and true colors were revealed very quickly.  On paper, I thought this had the potential to be something very meaningful.  He is well educated, has deeply rooted faith, was raised only miles from my home town, and likes to be a planner in just about all aspects of life.  Perfection!  I thought I had possibly met the yin to my yang, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Harry to my Sally.

In our time spent together this past week, it became abundantly clear to me that he is so stressed out about his future, that he doesn't take the time to enjoy the present moment.  We had a heart-to-heart yesterday as he came to me in a very honest way about his struggle to feel comfortable in his own life right now and I found myself thinking about Eckhart Tolle's book and quotes I have read from another enriching writing called A Course in Miracles.  The Power of Now is simple in concept, but more powerful (and challenging to live out) than we could ever imagine.  Living in the present moment requires a great deal of conscious surrendering -- especially when the present moment isn't what we necessarily wanted or thought it would be.

My life coach and I broach this subject regularly in our meetings as the outside pressures of family, societal norms, and Facebook can make us feel like life is simply a never ending competition.  Are you dating right now?  Are you married yet?  Are you having kids yet?  Are the kids getting into the top schools?  Instead, I challenge us to have conversations in which we simply ask one another:  How are you doing today?  Is there anything I can be doing in your life to be a loving friend?  

I am going to make it a personal goal to wake up every day, look at life straight in the face, and do my best to make the most of the moment at hand -- and simply be hopeful and faithful towards the life in front of me.

Image Courtesy of The Learning Annex

No comments:

Post a Comment