Wednesday, October 19, 2011

BE STILL

I was mulling over the disappointment of my most recent courtship with a girlfriend over a glass of wine last night and she listened with an open heart, could see the hurt in my eyes, and responded simply by saying "Be Still".  These two simple words profoundly touched me and I felt myself sit up a bit straighter, take a deep breath, and tell her "Okay".

One of the more challenging parts to living out life can be experiencing disappointment -- specifically, when people disappoint you.  Anger I can handle.  I get mad, dwell on it for a New-York-Minute and then move on.  Sadness is also somewhat easier to process.  I get sad, mourn the loss of a person/moment/opportunity and then get back to living life.  But disappointment is a whole different beast.  When people disappoint me I tend to look inward, wonder if I could have done anything different to avoid the disappointment, and then spend time trying to process how it should affect my life moving forward.  I then end up at the same place every time, it's the analytical A-type personality that comes with being a Virgo, and I am asking myself "How can I learn from this?"  And you know what -- this whole routine can be absolutely exhausting!  The processing of disappointment is draining and I am burnt out!

So there I was disappointed in yet another dating fling gone wrong and my friend tells me "Be Still".  It is a powerful concept and ties to my previous post on living in the now.  Eckhart Tolle says "It is the stillness that will save and transform the world."

It probably isn't too hard to figure out at this point that dating and my volatile romantic life is the struggle that I face most often right now.  But I know that we all have struggles, worries, and moments of disappointment followed my periods of processing and analysis.  Whatever the issue at hand is for you right now, I challenge you in joining me to find a place of stillness -- just for this week or maybe month.  Life has to move on at some point, but for now, let's set our worries aside and just be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment