Thursday, September 29, 2011

What's the Condition of Your Wrapping Paper?

We are told early on, either through school or family or church, that life is a gift.  A precious gift.  We are to treat it with care and be grateful.  I am in complete agreement with the concept.  However, I have decided this gift is not to be labeled:  "FRAGILE.  Handle with care."

My mother once gave me a Collector's Edition Wedding Barbie.  All of my friends would keep their Collector's Dolls on the top shelf and stare at them with pride.  Not me.  I decided right away that this Barbie was meant to be played with and I enjoyed it.  At the end of the day, my doll was the one with messed up hair and a less than bright white wedding dress...but I would guess that my mother felt that the memories were more valuable then the resale value of one with an impeccable package.

Okay, you might be wondering, what exactly is my point.  The other day a friend commented to me that she was in awe and wonder of how busy I am and how much effort I put into my social calendar.  I thought to myself, well, life is a gift but I want to make the most of it and take that gift out for a ride!

This week I have been tremendously affected by the number of people diagnosed with some form of cancer and battling for their lives -- and the tragedy of loss.  I spent Sunday morning with a dear friend celebrating the life that her mother lost to the fight against breast cancer while my other friend walked alongside her friend currently in the throws of this heart breaking battle. Additionally, to bring matters even closer to home, in the last month I have been made aware of two separate family friends diagnosed with a very serious form of cancer and now fighting for their lives.  Hearing the song on country radio "Live Like You Were Dying" suddenly has new meaning.

I seriously could write a book called "Adventures in Dating" ...don't stop reading here. This one I kid you not, on Tuesday night, while on a blind date (!), the guy requested to listen to a voice message his father had just left him and then solemnly told me a few moments later, "Yeah.  My uncle just passed of cancer."  Right now?!  While we are sitting here having coffee?!  "Yes.  Right now.  He died."  Of course, I immediately offered to let him take the rest of the night to talk with family and address this personal issue.  I must have really been spitting some good game because he declined and then offered to take me to dinner instead...but I digress.

I am blown away by the number of potential dangers that threaten our lives every day.  Life truly is a gift, but not one that is meant to sit in the closet on the top shelf and be protected so carefully that it isn't enjoyed.

I would like to think that the wrapping paper around my gift is sun bleached from trying to be outside and living life as often as possible.  It is frayed at the corners from burning the candle at both ends sometimes.  It definitely has tire tracks on it from how many miles I drive on our local highways. It might have some dents and dings from the times that I have fallen down in life.  Yes, I am pretty darn proud of my wrapping paper because each imperfection has a story behind it.

What is the condition of your wrapping paper?  Have you been too gentle with your gift?

This quote came to me last week in an edition of The Daily Love newsletter that I receive...I hope you find it as inspiring as I did!

"Many people die with their music still in them. Why is this so? Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out."

- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Holmes was a physician by profession but achieved fame as a writer; he was one of the best regarded American fireside poets of the 19th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment