Friday, September 23, 2011

I Don't Know How She Does It!


Sometimes there is no better way to spend an evening than losing yourself in a "Chick Flick".  Last night was one of those nights -- and I immediately gravitated towards Sarah Jessica Parker's latest project. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1742650/ To be honest, I expected more out of a film with such a compelling title and note worthy cast.  However, regardless of the lack of witty writing and the choppy scene changes, I left the theater feeling ruminative. 

The story follows the life of an ambitious mother of two with a loving marriage and burgeoning career.  I think the most illustrative word for her life would be "hectic".  She never slowed down long enough to enjoy any of it -- 'It' being the operative word and referring to her career success, her two children, and her doting husband.
 

I couldn't help but look inward and think about my own life's ambitions -- career, family, love -- and then wonder if I am simply asking the universe for a life filled with chaos.  There is certainly a sexy appeal in being 'Wonder Woman', but then we have to ask "How do I want to see my story play out?".  I don't recall any Wonder Woman story lines involving attending Back to School Night for her kids, a celebrated promotion in the workplace, or a minute of slow dancing in the kitchen with her husband while they do the dishes and Stevie Wonder plays in the background. 

I am going to need more time to process all of the questions that circled my mind as I lay down last night trying to turn it all off and ease into sleep.  Can I have a successful career and balance it with giving time and energy towards a loving home life?  Is it kind of like that glossy four inch Louboutin staring at me through the picture window?  Appealing and provocative, but eventually very painful?  

Lists are sorta my thing (show me a female that doesn't make lists and I will show you a New Jersey resident that doesn't spray tan), but what good are these lists if they have no order or priority to them?  If these are the lists that define my life and they are simply spastic tasks all strung together then does that mean I am destined to a life of chaos?

A biblical verse continues to come to mind even as I write this and the concluding line in it is "Faith, Hope, and Love.  And the greatest of these is Love."  I will continue to make love, the act of receiving and also giving, a top priority.  In fact, I think I am going to put it on the top of my To-Do list -- each and every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment