Monday, January 28, 2013

Time to CHECK IN

If you have taken a moment to break away from your everyday task list and projects to read this article, then you are already in a place to offer yourself a break to CHECK IN.  Before I even go on, I need you to sit up straight and take a deep breath.  I'm serious.  I bet that first one was pretty wimpy so I'm going to ask you again and will be more specific this time. 

Sit up.  Breathe in through your nose.  Fill your lungs to capacity.  Hold it for two seconds.  Now release ALL of the air through your mouth.  You might even make an awkward noise causing a coworker to glance your way -- don't worry, they will probably be envious of the release and try it themselves.

Now that I have your attention and the air has been cleared (literally!), time to check in.  What were you thinking about or doing right before you opened this article?  Was it positive or negative?  Was it urgent or just you causing your own sense of urgency?  Let it go.  Just breathe.

How are you feeling now?  Better?  The same?  Give yourself just these few moments to scan your body -- top of your head down to your toes -- and try to read what you might need right now. 

Perhaps you need some peace of mind from stress and worry.  Perhaps you need a healthy meal because you feel malnourished.  Or some Echinacea and warm water to fight off the influenza epidemic that is affecting our nation.  You might feel great and have a hint of a smile on your face -- kudos to you!

I must confess, this isn't all my idea.  I went to bed early last night with the intention of indulging in a solid night's sleep before rising at 5:30 AM to attend my favorite 6 AM hot yoga glass.  Once the lights were out I tossed and turned in my bed for over 2 hours.  2 hours!!  What was I doing up and staring at the minutes of the clock pass by when I knew I was getting up so early!? If worrying and multitasking was an Olympic sport then the women of the world would dominate the medal stand.  My mind was racing with thoughts of the week ahead:  task lists, decisions about my social calendar, life reflections, and the list goes on and on.  Not to mention, what did I want to write about this week?! 

Then, at 6 AM I arrived to my yoga class with my eyes only half open but my mind already racing back towards the thoughts that had kept me up until the wee hours of the night.  Meg the Yogi took her place at the front of the room and said "It's Monday Morning, Yogis.  Let's check in with ourselves and start the week in a calm space."

Simple brilliance.  Check in and let go.  Be who you are and know that we have the power to let go of anything that we feel weighing us down. 

It was only 6:05 AM when I decided that I would worry only about my time spent today as tomorrow will have enough worries of its own.  I encourage you to do the same and listen to Meg the Yogi. 


No comments:

Post a Comment