Monday, January 21, 2013

I Want It All!


I'm not really one for Bravo TV shows these days. The common thread through most of this particular network's shows is women bickering, strike that, yelling at high pitched tones and an overuse of the term "drama".  That said, in my social world, I feel like the exception and not the norm. My girlfriends loooove the Housewives (yes, all of them) and the latest plot lines are often woven into a Saturday night dinner conversation.

Just this past weekend, one of my dear friends referenced the current real life drama of Bethany Frankel. My friend commented how sad she was to hear of the divorce and really thought that Bethany would be a model in showing women how they could 'Have it all'.  Without hesitation, I yelled out (at an inappropriate level considering the cozy environment of the Venice restaurant patio) "But they can't!".

I don't know much about this Bethany character other than her bio would include some bullet points on Bravo housewife fame, Skinny Girl brand with blowout success, and recently married with a new baby.  I would also add that she is portrayed in the tabloids and other media to have a happy work life balance.  What other kind of statement are we to perceive from a show titled "Bethany Ever After"?  

My friend and I went back and forth about what it looks like to have it all.  She was the one rooting for the true love that came after the fantastic financial success of Bethany's story and my retort being that a woman with that much on her plate (did I mention a talk show in the works) certainly doesn't have much time for the role wife and  mother. I mean, how many hats can one person really wear?!

Who am I kidding?  I know nothing beyond the lines that I read in my nail salon's tabloids about this woman who lives clear on the other side of this country. I couldn't tell you an accurate read on her level of happiness and the notion that we 'know' this reality star is a far cry from any true definition of reality.  But the whole discussion begs the question:  what is your definition of ALL?

Sure, we can certainly try to have it all.  And we can discuss over a glass of that blonde housewive's famed Pinot the balance of career mogul, wife, and mother that Kelly Ripa embodies. But none of the greater context is really that important to me because the term ALL is intimately personal in its definition.   

Yes, I'll admit, I daydream about having it all. I dream about being my own boss, having enough money to never have to worry about paying for a fancy haircut or putting organic food on the family dinner table, and a doting husband that tells me I'm beautiful even when I have the flu (yes, I have watched too many Julia Roberts movies in my day). 

I'm not yet sure if it's achievable, but I'm willing to hold out hope. Perhaps I should note that I'm somewhat rigging the odds by keeping Glamour cover girl, future CEO of Google, and husband named Ryan Gosling off the list.

So I ask you, when it comes to wanting to have it all... How do you define ALL? 


No comments:

Post a Comment