Monday, February 13, 2012

THE CHALLENGE DAY 14


I was out and about on Saturday afternoon when I got a call from my girlfriends that the plan for the night was to head over to our favorite Mexican food restaurant around 5:30 to indulge in some Skinny Margaritas.  5:30?!  What is this?  The early bird special?  On a Saturday night?  So I head home to begin my 'primping' session and pour myself a glass of Pinot Grigio.  It was a gorgeous Saturday afternoon and the thought of relaxing with friends and starting the night early (and hopefully ending it early) suddenly became very appealing.  I have gotten into the habit of listening to Z100 on my 'I Heart Radio' app on my iPad on the weekends because it is based out of NYC and they have a great party soundtrack applicable to those that are a few hours ahead of me.  I was in high spirits as I applied eye liner, sipped my vino, and listened to the latest beats by Rihanna and Jay-Z. 

Then the news came across the airwaves and changed the entire tone of the evening.  Unless you have been living under a rock for the few two days then you probably know exactly what I am talking about -- the sudden passing of Whitney Houston.  The DJ on Z100 was very somber in announcing that the pop icon of an entire generation had passed at far too young an age of 48 years old. My heart sank more in that moment then when I had learned of Michael Jackson's death. Whitney represented a period in my life that was full of joy, excitement, and innocence.  I was in 5th grade when I got my first boombox from Santa and the first CD to play in it was The Body Guard Soundtrack. I played those Whitney songs over and over and over again. I would dance around my room with my girlfriends, put on our fancy dresses, and play with mom's lipstick as if we were actually about to head out on the town and go 'dance with somebody'. 

The obvious topic of conversation at our margarita night was discussing the sudden loss of a treasured icon.  She had her struggles and story of substance abuse, but when we were kids that wasn't what defined Whitney.  Her long list of hits inspired us to dream big and look bright-eyed towards our future.  The tone at our table transitioned from mournful to nostalgic and then celebratory.  We all reminisced on what her songs had meant to us -- when and where we played them and who we danced with at the time.  After all, her peak was the beginning of teenage-hood for me and most of my friends.  The common thread through all the stories was that they were joyful moments spent celebrating life.

I love to dream big, work hard, and look towards the future.  BUT -- there is a lot to be said for tapping into the vault of joyful childhood memories.  We don't have to experience life and take the stance to 'never look back'.  Instead, I say, look back with fondness on some of the times that you found the most enjoyable or exciting.  You might actually find your own childhood to be the most inspiring affection of your day.  Take that, Dr. Phil.

THE CHALLENGE - DAY 14

Physical
Do you remember complaining about exercise as a kid?  Most likely, not.  Most kids are so eager to get outside and 'play'.  Think of what kind of physical exercise could be playful and you might actually find it to be a great workout too.  Jump rope anyone?

Spiritual
What memories from your childhood or young adulthood could you associate with what defines your own personal foundation -- your center of gravity?  Acknowledge the people and moments the contributed to your own character formation.

One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child. -- Carl Jung

Personal
I would think it is safe to assume that there are at least a handful of teachers and loved ones that contributed to your 'vault' of fond childhood memories.  How are you doing in 'paying it forward'?  Are you giving time and energy to the future leaders of our communities and country? 

Tips & Reminders:  It's cold & flu season!  Drink lots of water and take your vitamins.  You don't want to catch your neighbor's germs.  Also, try to laugh at least once a day.  Those endorphins can really work some magic.




No comments:

Post a Comment