Monday, February 6, 2012

THE CHALLENGE DAY 13


I recently returned from spending nearly a full week visiting friends and loved ones in New York City.  I booked the plane ticket simply because Southwest Airlines was having a sale (50% off!) and it had been years since I last spent time in the Northeast.  I had many friends living in The City and the comments over the years of "You should come visit....okay, one day I will come out to see you..." seemed trite until real action was taken.  So I did it.  I booked the ticket.  No plans in place at the time of purchase, just the hope and excitement of getting out of my comfort zone, as defined by the California border lines and perpetual sunshine, to spend time with those I typically only communicate with via email or the occasional phone call.

The six day trip ended up being jam packed with plenty of lunch dates, happy hours, dinners, and nights out on the town.  It was such a joy to catch up with these friends in person and to see in real life the people and places that now occupy their lives -- whereas I had previously only known of them through Facebook postings.  'Keeping in Touch' is one thing, but spending time with an old friend in their new life is a whole different level of bonding.  I was so happy to have the opportunity and I truly recommend booking the plane ticket or making the drive to visit (in person!) those that represent some of the most significant relationships in your life.

So you might be wondering...where exactly is she going with this?  Towards the end of my trip it dawned on me that I had spent the week learning about the lives that my friends had established for themselves in this bright lights city that never sleeps.  They had new careers, fiancés, degree programs, and killer wardrobes. Essentially, they were in the midst of writing the next chapter in their book called Life.  I was packing to head home and in my reflections on the trip I also personally reflected on the notion of 'What is the story that I am writing for my life right now?'  

I hadn't really stopped to think about how I wanted to shape my current chapter (probably to be titled 'The Roaring 20's').  I immediately got excited at the notion and was eager to return home to continue 'writing' my own personal story with hope that those who come to visit me in my city will enjoy and appreciate my book of life as much as I've enjoyed getting a deeper understanding of friends through seeing them live out  their stories.

Today's Challenge:  Life is a blend of what happens to you and how you react to it -- with much more power and opportunity lying in the 'reaction'.  Consciously reflect on the chapter that you are currently writing in your book called Life and decide if you are happy with the person you are becoming or if any adjustments or growth is to be a priority for the year ahead.

THE CHALLENGE DAY 13

Physical
Continue to be strong and dedicated to your physical health.  It plays a great deal into your story as it contributes to energy levels and self esteem.  We are not to obsess about our looks, but we should be committed to a healthy lifestyle in which we can maintain high self esteem about how we physically present ourselves.  Your challenge, every week, is to make the time.

Spiritual
Our stories in the book of Life are a blend of what the world brings into our lives through no decision made by us, but also how we react to those events and also how we proactively seek out what we do want in life.  We need to see life with clear eyes and a calm heart so that we can react to it with the best version of ourselves.  Come back to your 'Center of Gravity' -- those elements that define who you are and be at peace with it.  You will be much more prepared for ride of life.

“Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.” - John Maxwell


Personal
We can't take life on by ourselves -- we need to fill our lives with family and friends.  When was the last time that you reached out to a good friend to simply say hello, inquire about their life, and invest some of that personal time and energy?  Reach out.  You won't regret it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment