Monday, March 11, 2013

SHAPE UP


Shape Up.

It is a true treat to live in Southern California and experience daylight savings.  Last night the sun was shining some gorgeous 70-something degree weather all day and the evening snuck up on us as sundown didn't occur until nearly 7 PM.  It was one of those days where you want to pinch yourself and say, "Life is good right now".

Much of the day was spent sitting on a patio in a quirky beach town nursing sangria and tacos alongside many other SoCal lo-cals and I couldn't help but take note of the fit, tanned, and well dressed women.  Midway through my meal I started to realize that I was gawking -- and it was embarrassing.  I commented aloud to my lunch date that the scene was a bit intimidating to a girl.  Here I was, hiding my leftover Saturday night curls under my Dodger cap while sipping some sangria and staring through my sunglasses at the size zero women in the bar wearing their cut off jean shorts.  Needless to say, my self esteem was quickly plummeting as I felt like Anne Hathaway in the beginning part of The Devil Wears Prada when she is nicknamed "Six".

My lunch date was patient and kind in his response and I let it go immediately because I certainly didn't want to be 'that girl' on a date.  But the thoughts lingered with me throughout the rest of the day.  Daylight savings means longer days and hot summer nights....in other words, bathing suit season.   I can whine and complain all I want about the skinny girls, but the reality is that I have to own my health and my habits. 

No one is shoving cookies in front of me or forcing me to enjoy that extra glass of wine.  These are  my choices and I can choose to make healthy, or unhealthy, lifestyle choices.  Starting today I am going to focus on making healthy lifestyle choices and I will encourage you to join me.  Mayor Bloomberg is preparing to enforce new laws about sugary drinks in New York City and I think it is a fantastic example to make statements that will encourage the people in our country to choose to live a healthier lifestyle.

I don't imagine being nicknamed "Zero" by the time summer is truly here.  However, I can make some small adjustments and a stronger commitment to fitness that will allow me to hold my head high in a Dodger hat on a sunny Sunday afternoon.  We all can and what better time to start preparing for bathing suit season than right now. 

Let's spend the next 60 days together checking in and creating healthy habits.  Sit down and commit to 3 new habits for the week ahead.  I'll even let you borrow one of mine:  drink more water, eliminate cookies (including the ones sold by cute little girls in green uniforms), and exercise for more than 30 minutes at least 3 times per week. 

Ready.  Set.  Go.


No comments:

Post a Comment