Monday, April 2, 2012

THE CHALLENGE - DAY 21 - Invest Wisely!


I just returned from a weekend in the wilderness with three of my childhood and life-long friends.  I will set the stage and admit that we were not exactly roughing it in the woods, but as more of a 'Troop Beverly Hills' type, we were lounging in a newly constructed LEED certified cabin owned by a family friend.  The weekend was my real life equivalent of Chicken Soup for the Soul as we all shared the most impactful moments or experiences of the last year or so.  Some stories were full of cheers and laughter and others were followed by some tears and prayers.  What amazed me the most was the bond that we all carry despite our distinctly different personalities and places in life:  married, single, cohabitating with boyfriend, teacher, artist, business mogul (okay, that's a stretch but I'm going to go ahead and put it out into the Universe).

I have been friends with these girls for 23 years and as we age and enter into new chapters in life, the challenges presented by life don't go away -- they simply evolve.  I started seeing a Life Coach two years ago this May (time flies!).  Our conversations in the beginning focused on healing a broken heart and then navigating dating thereafter.  Today, our conversations are a mix of my love life, personal versus work life balance, and overall well being.  I often pass along the advice of my Life Coach to other friends and comment openly about the impact of having such a person in my life.  Now mind you, I also admit that I pay this person more by the hour than you probably pay for your morning latte.  It is no small expense -- but it is one of the best investments I have ever made. 

As the weekend came to a close and we were packing our bags, I was talking with one of the girls who is in a very different place in her personal life than I (she attends baby showers on a regular basis and I attend Happy Hour on a regular basis).  We agreed that as life goes on and gets more complicated it is so important to maintain an open line of communication with someone that can provide insight and stability.  Not a family member, or a spouse, or even a best friend -- a trained counselor or coach that has some version of Masters in 'Emotional Intelligence'.  Committing to a relationship with this Coach is one of the best lifetime investments we can make and if you don't have one in your life than I challenge you to go find one!



THE CHALLENGE DAY 21

Physical
Are you investing in your physical well being by eating healthy?  We live in a country that works hard and runs fast through life.  We don't always take the time to nourish our bodies.  Instead, we grab and go -- and sometimes what we grab is processed, fried, or full of additives.  Make a healthy meal this week that you know to be well balanced and nutritious.  If you are feeling really brave then commit to a weekly menu that allows you to efficiently plan and create healthy meals and snacks.

Personal
Your challenge for the week has been laid out -- are you willing to accept?  Find a Coach in either your local church, through a friend's recommendation (email me if you want the name of mine), or even The Yellow Pages.  Invest in this relationship -- I promise you will see the dividends pay out for a lifetime.

Tips and Reminders:
  Chickpeas mixed with tuna and hummus can be a great afternoon snack -- full of protein!



No comments:

Post a Comment