Monday, March 12, 2012

THE CHALLENGE DAY 18


I woke up at 5:30 this morning to attend a 6 AM Hot Yoga class and mid-way through the moaning, groaning, and yawning -- the teacher commented to our class "Life, and yoga, are all about layers.  Whichever layer you are at right now is exactly where you are meant to be."  She was probably referring to not over-doing that binding pigeon move, but for me, it struck a much more profound and personal chord.  Stay with me as I dive a bit deeper into this analogy...

The yoga moves of "Runner's Lunge" and "Hurdler's Lunge" involve stepping one foot forward, bending that knee, and placing one foot back with a straight leg as if you were at the starting line of an Olympic race.  Next, lean all of your weight into that front foot with bended knee.  If you are in the 'first layer' of this stretch then you will feel strain in a number of places right away.  Once the body has acclimated to this layer of the stretch then you are ready for the next move which involves placing your arm under that front knee and engaging your bicep.  Again, if this is where you are meant to be, then your whole body will be stretching and alert.  The last layer involves placing that front knee on the same side elbow by bending your leg sideways (knee pointing to the side wall) and lifting the opposite leg behind you.  Visualize this:  your entire body is being held up by one of your forearms and your core.  'Hurdler's Lunge' is the move and it's tough.  For some, near impossible.  I am definitely still getting comfortable with layer two.  My body would collapse on me if I even tried the final move.  In fact, if I really pushed myself to go into Hurdler's Lunge without any respect for the first two layers then I could seriously injure myself.  It's all about listening to the physical reaction throughout your body and respecting 'exactly where you are at'.

In life, just as in yoga, we sometimes want to move from one chapter to the next with too much speed and a lack of respect or acknowledgement for where we are truly meant to be.   Even worse, if we try and hurdle past (pun intended) phases then we are setting ourselves up to get hurt because each chapter builds off of the last.  Stress and pressure can come from the media, from peers, or even family members.  Don't internalize it.  They aren't the ones living your life -- you are the one in charge of your own life!  Breathe life into the moments that are happening right now and the ones directly in front of you and if you are tempted to run past them then tell yourself "I am exactly where I am meant to be."



THE CHALLENGE DAY 18

Physical
Have you been consistently active for the last two months?  Have you felt your strength and stamina improve?  Are you disappointed with the pace of your progress?  Be constant and be patient.  Your body moves at a steady pace and it is our jobs to be consistent and diligent, but also supplement it with patience.  If you do want a little extra nudge then I will repeat my advice from last week:  try doing 5 push-ups a day and you might be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Spiritual
Whenever I find myself struggling to embrace the present I find myself repeating a simple prayer.  Closing your eyes, even in the middle of the day while sitting in your office, to whisper this prayer of serenity could be the key to re-centering your heart and mind.  I challenge you to give yourself that 30 second break whenever you need it!  "God grant me the serenity to accept those things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."


Personal
I decided to 'give up' Facebook for Lent because I found myself measuring my own success and place in life against the appearance of my friends and 'acquaintances' lives on Facebook.  Breathing into the present moment is so critical for me these days.  I want to appreciate every moment and realize that life is too long to have to rush through it.  The end result would simply be exhaustion and perpetual frustration. 

"But man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson



No comments:

Post a Comment