Thursday, November 10, 2011

THANKS GIVING

This week my mind has been filled with gratitude and excitement as I look towards the future.  I have "cut the chains" of the past that were holding me back and am now preparing to embrace life and enjoy the adventure ahead.  With a free mind and open heart to explore new ideas, I started thinking about the upcoming holiday season and more specifically the -- only weeks away -- food feast that is commercially titled "Thanksgiving".

I played in my mind a list of things that I am grateful for and even started the dialogue as a prayer of thanksgiving..."Dear Lord, I am so thankful for my family and friends as they have showered me with unconditional love this past year.  I am thankful for my parents as they continue to provide encouragement and a rock hard foundation for me to stand upon in both my professional and personal life.  I am thankful for my sister who always seems to know just when to check in on me.  I am thankful for my friend that shared a glass of wine with me last night and had me laughing for hours..." -- and the list goes on.  After a couple of moments, I sat up in my bed with my eyes wide open (I'm talking Kathy from NJ Real Housewives raccoon eyes) and realized -- This is all well and good, but what am I doing to actually give thanks to these people in my life?!  Sadly, not much beyond whispering a prayer.

Everyone from Wal-Mart to Nordstroms is gearing up for this 'Gift Giving' season as we shower our loved ones with thoughtful presents of new possessions.  I would like to offer to you the same challenge that I presented to myself -- how can we actually giveof ourselves to those we are most grateful for in our lives?  Is it delivering dinner unannounced to the friend buried at work or barely sleeping as a new mother?  Is it sending a greeting card in the mail (snail mail, unlike Santa Claus, actually does still exist!)?  Is it sending cupcakes to a friend the day before their big presentation?  Or perhaps it is simply telling someone, I need to make time to celebrate our friendship as we have both been busy -- you name the date and place and I will be there to enjoy your company.

Whatever it is that can personally touch and give back to the people that brighten each and every day of your life -- I encourage you to write the idea down and make it happen.  My list is quite long as I feel very blessed to have so much love and support in my life, but I am bursting with excitement at executing each of my little deeds.  In fact, I have changed the name plate on my desk to "Santa's Little Helper".

Happy Thanks Giving to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment